Sunday, July 28, 2013

Mentor Text SS x3

I love the Must Read Mentor Text linky!
Thanks for hosting Collaboration Cuties!

As you know Antoinette and I have been in Professional Development mode.
I didn't get to attend the Teacher's College sessions, but I did get to attend some classes about reading and technology.

That's where I found the THREE books I am sharing today.  I can't help it.  I find books I love and I must share them.  (It's kind of an addiction.)

Book 1: Henry and the Cannons by Don Brown
Why I love this book:
-It talks about an "every day" person doing an extraordinary thing.
-The writing!!!
        "scant chance of winning"
        "Washington ached for cannons."
   I see a writing mini lesson about word choice and "show not tell" happening with this book.

Book 2: Underground: Finding the Light to Freedom by Shane W. Evans 

Why I love this book:
-The illustrations! The book focuses on finding the light, so the illustrations are dark, until the slaves are free.
-The writing style is minimal.
       "We crawl."  (That's all that's on the page.)
-This would be a great book to teach my Special Education or ELL students about slavery.
-I also think it is a great way for kids to look at writing style.  The author's purpose for not writing many words on each page.  (Since 5th graders write a LOT with no idea why.)

Book 3: Want to be Free by Joseph Slate

Why I love this book:
-The repetitive verse.
      "Before I die, I want to be free. But the Big Man says, You belong to me."
-The book shows the character has a brave spirit and heart.  
     You will be surprised to learn who frees the main character from his shackles.

Do you have a book you can't wait to to share?

EmilyK

4 comments:

  1. I love that you listed the writing skills that each book models. Great suggestions. :)
    ~Brandee
    Creating Lifelong Learners
    Follow me on Bloglovin'

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for all the suggestions! I have some new books to add to my ever-growing wishlist.

    Hunter's Tales from Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have not heard if any of these books! They look awesome!! I am definitely gonna check out the cannon one since we teach the revolution in 4th!

    Thanks so much for linking up!!
    Amanda
    Collaboration Cuties

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! What great suggestions! Thanks so much!

    -Caitlyn
    Fourth Grade Lemonade

    ReplyDelete