Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Next year, I will

We are joining up with Joy in 6th grade for her linky party.
The end of the year is such a reflective time.

Emily's answers are in purple.
Antoinette's answers are in blue.
This year, I am feeling so exhausted just trying to get to the end of the year, but I am never too tried to look ahead!
Here are the things I am definitely going to change.


This is the first year in 6 years that I won't be moving classrooms!!!!!!!
That means in the fall I don't have to create bulletin boards.  They just need to be updated.
I am really going to try to maintain my bulletin boards.
That is usually something that falls by the wayside.
How will I do this?
I am planning to create the rough beginnings of many of my anchor charts.  This is the time of year where I can look at the charts I created and see what worked and what needs tweaking.  

I admit it, I am a PILER not a FILER.  : /  It is one thing that irritates me the most about myself.  
This year I used 2 tables instead of a desk.  It turns out the table that was supposed to be my "desk" just became a giant mountain of paper.
  I am hoping next year to get rid of that table, because I need the space.
How can I eliminate my piling problem?
I got some great ideas from Ladybug Teacher Files and Fun in 4B's recent linky party.  

I need to actually USE the items I have more efficiently.  



If you have followed our blog, you know our district took on Common Core and Balanced Literacy this year.  Plus, I moved from 3rd to 5th grade.  It is like being a first year teacher again.  That means I was often planning as I was teaching, with no idea where my students were actually supposed to be.  What did mastery look like?  Well now I have enough of an idea to at least refine what I did this year.  Plus my wonderful co-blogger is helping to edit my grade levels units of study, and I know she will share with me as soon as she can!


This is a goal of mine every year.  Any one have this goal?
I am busy being a wife, dog owner, grad school student, volunteering at my church and trying to become a mom (in the fall).  
I LOVE being a teacher and working with kids, but that can no longer eclipse the rest of my life.  Maybe if I can make some of the changes I listed above I will have more free time!  :)

WOW!!!
What a year it has been!
Lots of ups and downs.
But I have to say...
Overall, I feel it was a success!

Always room for improvement, though.
So here are my thoughts for next year:

 In my position, as a Teaching and Learning Coach, I have to be on the ball in regards to what is new in the district.  Gone are the days where professional development days were laid back and easy because now I am always presenting.
To help me be in the know, I did a TON of professional reading.
I've read from Lucy Calkins, Matt Glover, Debbie Miller, Fountas and Pinnell, Aimee Buckner, Katie Wood Ray, Richard Allington...
Just to name a few...
I am involved in a monthly book club with some amazing ladies from the first school I taught at.
Guess how many books I have read for book club!!!
If you guessed ZERO, you would be correct.
NEXT YEAR, I AM GOING TO READ FOR FUN ALSO!!!!

 I am SOOO not a morning person.
I love my snooze button. (Well not actually, but I sure do swipe at it often. lol)
With my new job also came lots of early morning meetings. LOTS!!!
I am that person...
I know some of you are cringing...
I sometimes usually show up a few minutes late.
AND...
I drive really fast to get there when I do.
AND...
I got a ticket the other day!!!
So...
NEXT YEAR, I AM GOING TO ALLOT MORE TIME IN THE MORNINGS SO I DON'T SPEED AND SHOW UP, NOT ON TIME, BUT A FEW MINUTES EARLY!


I have gotten better with this one, but only after a large portion of the year was over.
Once again, with my new job, I found myself spending LONG hours reading, planning for professional development, meetings, etc.
I was also writing units of study for the 5th grade teachers in my district.
I sure got a ton accomplished, but I sort of lost out on some me time.
I finally decided that enough was enough and did a ton less once I left school.
NEXT YEAR, I AM GOING TO FIND THAT TIME FOR ME THROUGHOUT THE ENTIRE SCHOOL YEAR AND NOT JUST THE LAST FEW MONTHS!


My final goal for next year is to continue to do what I feel literally saved me this year!!
I plan to continue to focus on the positive.
I don't deal well with negativity.
I wish people understood how it doesn't really solve anything...
It only makes matters worse.
So throughout the year, I really tried to focus on the positive and hold me head up high.
Some of my favorite "Antoinette" sayings...
"It's a means to an end, and I'm gonna love the end!"
"I can't control the cards I'm dealt, but I'm gonna play them like I have the royal family!"
"Life pitches you curve balls every once and awhile and sure you might miss from time-to-time.  But doesn't it feel amazing when your bat actually makes contact?"
Cheesy, I know.
It kept my spirits up for the most part and has been a huge factor in how my year has panned out and my weight-loss.
NEXT YEAR, I PLAN TO CONTINUE TO FOCUS ON THE POSITIVE!!!


With the end of the school year approaching, what are you definitely going to change?

2 comments:

  1. Yay! I just found your blog to start following through this linky! I love the 4321 theme- great idea!

    I definitely should have put the bulletin boards and organize those papers ones on my list too!

    x Serena x
    Magic Mistakes & Mayhem

    ReplyDelete
  2. These all sound like amazing goals for next year! I, too, am a piler, not a filer so I'm going to live by the motto "When in doubt, throw it out." Maybe then I will be able to see my desk at the end of the day!

    Jennifer
    Mrs. Laffin's Laughings

    ReplyDelete