Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Tears and a Smile- I LOVE teaching

As many of you know I switched grade levels this year.  I was a 3rd grade teacher for a few years, then I switched to 5th grade.  Partly because Antoinette became a Teaching and Learning Coach, and left me... :(

Well that gave me the opportunity to teach some of my former students again.  (Yeah and eeh and the same time.)

I asked to have one student in particular again.  (For my story, I will call her A.)

The year A was in 3rd grade, the parents were very concerned about her lack of progress.

We had to break the news to them that her language skills were equivalent to a 4 year old.

By the end of the year, A was diagnosed with Autism.

Everyday of 4th grade she would stop by my room and say hello.  (Or rather stand in front of me, and wait for me to greet her.)

Fast forward to 5th grade.  Her mom cried with joy when she found out I was going to be her teacher.

A has undergone intense therapy and it shows.
She is an amazing kid.  She tries every day and has improved so much from the girl I met 2 years ago.
She made the A/B Honor Roll.  (Modified grades, but this is a huge accomplishment!)

Tonight at conferences her dad was so pleased at what the resource teacher and I shared.   When dad got a look at the report card he cried.  When A saw her A/B Honor Roll certificate she just kept repeating "I can't believe it!"

So on this Wednesday night, as I sit having worked for 12 hours the last 2 days, I have a smile.
The happy teacher smile.  The smile of someone who knows they've helped a child, my A.  (I love that kid!)

I hope you have had this moment.  I hope there is a child in your classroom that is thankful for all you have done, and will continue to support them as they grow.

Do you have a student that just melts your heart?

EmilyK




No comments:

Post a Comment