Sunday, September 8, 2013

It's Sunday and I'm not planning...

Yes I am going to work tomorrow and this whole week.
Yes I know what I am teaching and how I am teaching it.
Yes I will be at the copy machine at some point TOMORROW getting things ready.

I just decided this weekend that I was going to have 2 days to enjoy and cherish my life.

This past week something very shocking and life changing happened to a family member of mine.
(No details because the person would not be comfortable with me sharing that info in this forum.)

Throughout the week I have been thinking about how valuable my time at night and on the weekends is to my own happiness.

This life is too short to spend my whole Sunday worrying about the upcoming work week or how one of my challenging students will behave, or the district officials coming to observe me on Friday.

As a person with a profession that expects you to give so much, I have decided for a short while that I am going to take some of that back.

Teaching is a large part of me, as I am sure that it is for all of you, but it isn't ALL of me.

So I encourage you to think about spending a Sunday night not planning.

Let yourself have a break!
EmilyK

2 comments:

  1. Good for you! I hope everything works out with your family member and your visit on Friday!!!

    :) Nicole
    Tadpole Tidbits
    www.mrscorbitt.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wholeheartedly agree! I don't do much work at home anymore! If my plans aren't done by Thursday, I can't function. I copy on Friday and am ready for Monday morning. I have done that for the past 16 years of teaching. I bring no work home anymore because I want to spend time with my family.

    Good for you and enjoy it! Life and our time is precious!

    Andrea
    Reading Toward the Stars

    ReplyDelete