Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Writing Workshop, Matt Glover, and Spring Break Pics

I was lucky enough to get another opportunity to receive PD from Matt Glover.
Yup... Very exciting.
He is such an inspirational speaker.
I learn so much from him every time I hear him speak.
Click the following link to read a post regarding another PD session with Matt Glover.

One of the sessions I attended was primarily over reading like a writer.

Wow was this a great experience for myself and the teachers of my district!
We started with a more primary text.
This could totally be used in the upper grades also, though.
Bat Loves the Night by Nicola Davies

Our focus was to "read as a writer".
As Matt read the book to use, we were suppose to think about ways we could use this book to teach writing.
So often, we think that there are only a few ways to use a book.
Boy did we see how wrong that is!
I think we found close to 30 ways this book could be used to teach writing.

Here are just a few...
Descriptive vocabulary
Use of different fonts
Story starts and ends the same (1st line and last are the same)
Written poetically (similes, metaphors, personification, etc.)
Tone (use of pronouns, interesting verbs, names the bat, colors)
Use of punctuation (ellipses, exclamation points, etc)

I could seriously keep going... on and on and on lol

We did this same activity with a upper elementary text and had quite similar results.

"Bat Loves the Night" is a great book.  If you haven't read it, you should really check it out.

I look forward to more PD with Matt Glover and continuing my learning journey as an educator of writing.


NOW...
THE LONG AWAITED CALIFORNIA PICS!
So sorry it has taken so long to get posted.
Just been busy, busy, busy!

Pre-vacation shopping fun...

                                  
                                                               
   
The place were we stayed was up in the foothills.
My brother kept saying our place was up in the "hills".
I was like, "Umm... Anth, those are not what we call hills in Missouri!"
LOL
Temecula is a valley.
Here's some gorgeous mountain pics!!!



Now for our place...
Can you say, AMAZING!!!

This was the pool in back! OMG!! AMAZING!!



The slide to the pool!
 The slide in the above picture leads into the pool!
Although the temperature outside was absolutely amazing,
the water was absolutely FREEZING!!!
Did that stop us???
NOPE!!
Polar Plunge, baby!

Some family pics...
My brother, Anthony (Father of the Bride)
My great, nephews and niece!

Making Italian cookies for the wedding...



Wedding Day...
The Bride!!!
First dance...

My brother and family

My sister, Theresa, and I.

St. Paddy's day fun!!!



Heading home...

We went from 80 plus degree weather to 30's upon returning home.
The next week brought more snow!
Ugh!!!

But at least I got to enjoy gorgeous weather during my spring break and got to come home with a great tan! :)

Hope you enjoyed the Matt Glover information and the spring break pics!
Antoinette :)

2 comments:

  1. WOW! What beautiful pictures! Every jealous of the pool! The bride looked beautiful!

    Alison
    Teaching Maths with Meaning

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alison-
    We are so excited to have you as a new follower. Thanks for commenting. We love hearing what others have to say.
    It was quite beautiful there and thank you for the kind comment about my niece. She really did look quite amazing.
    I guess we will be learning from each other through our blogs. :)
    Antoinette

    ReplyDelete