Friday, January 13, 2012

4321...Rules to Declutter

This is another post for the Clutter Free Project
All week I have been assessing my classroom.
Looking for ways to declutter. 
Thinking of rules I can make for myself. 

Here is what I came up with:
4  Questions to ask yourself about the items in your classroom:
    -When did I use it last?
    -Is this something I will use again?
    -Where will I keep it?
    -Is that the best place for it?
     (Note the hanging file, that isn't being properly utilized!)

3  Paper copies will number no more than 3.  (I can't commit to be all electronic at this point.)
    This is my attempt to purge extra copies of things.  I have a binder system for most paper copies.
    So I will store a copy electronically (when possible), a copy in my binder, and the original (if its in a resource book.)
    *The environmentalist in me is really nervous about this one!

2  Supplies of 2, is all I will do. 
    I discovered some how I have 5 staplers. (All of which worked.)  Why?

   I had tons of tape.  Why?

   I am lucky enough to work in a school where we have a communal supply of these types of items. 
   So I can go get more, or I can go find it from another teacher hoarder.
   *Beware 4 pen containers, I am coming for you.  2 containers will do!
     
   Here is my drawer after following these new rules:


1 Mantra
   If you get an item out, put it back as soon as you are finished with it, in the place you got it from, so you can be clutter free! 

I hope this helps someone!

EmilyK

4 comments:

  1. Wow! Good for you for trying to declutter. But, I must say I can't believe that you have five working staplers-you may want to think about getting rid of three of them because good staplers are hard to find. Other than that-good luck with all of your organizing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great rules! You are off to a great start! I also need to put things back where they came from but it is difficult when you are running around doing 5 different things in the classroom!
    Rambling About Reading

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your rules and I love the way that drawer looks now!

    -Becky
    Lesson plans & Lattes

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL, I love the 5 staplers! Your plan looks awesome! I really need to be better at putting things up immediately too!

    Bonnie
    Living A Wonderful Life

    ReplyDelete