Sunday, June 9, 2013

Mazel Tov! to learning something new!

Yesterday I attended a coworkers wedding.
My former 3rd grade team member Megan married an amazing guy.
All my former team members were there.

I have been to a number of weddings, but none like this.
It was my (and my former team members) first time attending a Jewish wedding.

It was simple and beautiful.
Rich with traditions I had never seen before.

As I sat there with my hubby watching the ceremony I was trying to understand the symbolism of each ritual.

As we sat down in the reception hall, one of my former team members said what I, and apparently the other ladies, had been thinking the whole time.

"I just kept thinking about Patricia Polacco and The Keeping Quilt."


The chuppah, the 7 circles, the breaking of the glass

Yep...  you know you are a teacher when life events remind you of books!


I am now reflecting on that statement.  Thinking that I am thankful for Patricia Polacco because she offered my team members and me background knowledge into a world we hadn't known.
(BTW, Megan is a HUGE Patricia Polacco fan, so I am sure she would see this as a compliment.)

Have you ever had a life event that reminded you of a book you read with your students?

EmilyK

1 comment:

  1. Equally as awesome is reading a book to your kids that reminds them of their lives. :) Great post. :)
    Brandee @ Creating Lifelong Learners

    ReplyDelete