Monday, December 23, 2013

Theme: Making a Difference

I know our weekly link is a Wednesday, but with the holiday we are going to post a little early!

We hope you have a great holiday week with your family!

This week's theme: One can make a difference
When we say "one" that doesn't have to be a person.

For the Love of Autumn by Patricia Polacco
Every time I think of one of my most memorable students, whose name was… Autumn.  She was in my class when I taught 3rd grade.  She loved that this book included her name.

And speaking of cats:
The Cats in Krasinski Square by Karen Hesse
This book was one I just picked up off the shelves of our school library and said "I have to use this!"

Planting the Trees of Kenya by Claire Nivola
This is a book I bought at a Scholastic Warehouse sale.  It's so good!

The Librarian of Basra by Jeanette Winter
This is a book I always read in our launching unit to teach the importance of books.  It is great to pull it back out for our discussion of theme.

The Can Man by Laura Williams
Such a good book to read when thinking about needs versus wants.

Miss Rumphius by Barbara Cooney
I love the idea that she wants to see things, go home and live by the sea, and make the world a more beautiful place.

Ellington was not a Street by Ntozake Shange
This book is written in verse which is perfect for teaching to the Common Core.

What books do you use to teach kids about making a difference?

EmilyK

No comments:

Post a Comment